Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 09:15:07 -0400

It is conceptually simple to have command A that ends a macro and
command B that executes a macro.

It is also conceptually simple to have one command that ends a macro
and executes it, and have two key bindings for that one command.

But it is rather strange to have one command that either ends the
macro or executes it, and another command that only ends it.  All else
being equal, it would be better to replace them with one command that
does both jobs.

    Now consider my suggestion (have `C-x e' end any currently-being-defined
    macro definition and _also_ execute the macro once) using the same criteria:

    (A) Conceptually?

       Note that using my definition, both bindings (`C-x e' and `C-x )')
       retain their current simple one-binding-one-operation meanings.

There is a way to look at this which makes it coherent.  It could
mean, "Execute the keyboard macro, closing it first if necessary."

That's not what it does now, though, is it?