Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 19:24:50 -0400

> > And most likely, it'll be important to do the diff-list kind of trick
> > so that users can enter (and save) additions and removals rather
> > than editing/saving the whole keymap which will quickly lead
> > to undesired effects when upgrading (where the user won't ses the
> > new bindings).
>
> Another approach could be to have Emacs look for keybindings in
> global-user-map before looking in global-map.

I.e. increase the code-size and thus maintenance cost while only
providing a solution for global-map but not for any other map ?
And of course all the code will not to be checked for cases where
it has to be changed to consult global-user-map as well.

> Btw, what is the plan about the diff-list trick?  It seems that
> Customize could be augmented to implement this, or numerous places in
> Emacs could be changed so that the diff-list trick is not needed: for
> each foo-hook, introduce another foo-user-hook variable defaulting to
> nil.  Similar for other variables which are lists, such as load-path.

Sounds like a lot of trouble, compared to solving the problem once
and for all in a centralized place (i.e. where it belongs:
in the customization code).  I think that Alex's diff-list trick
is *much* better.

        Stefan