Re: INFO on add-ons

From: David A. Cobb
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 19:40:01 -0400

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

"Miles" == Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
   Miles> How so?  It seem to work well enough if people consistently
   Miles> use `install-info' (and that actually seems to happen on
   Miles> debian at least).

I have no control over "people", and little enough over XEmacs.
Better to spend the effort on having Emacs be smart about the info
files themselves, which either it can read or it doesn't matter, than
to have GNU and XEmacs.ORG try be anal about stuff that's not under
our control.  IMO.

I don't see /any/ Free/Open Software project in a position to be anal about things. I have no concept of anyone coercing a contributer in any regard - it'll cost you at least $30.00/hr to coerce /me/.

But it would be a considerable good if they did contribute Info pages and if installing the software also installed the info. My notion was more an encouraging word in the documents we publish to guide the potential contributer.

   Miles> People certainly have write access to the `dir' file in any
   Miles> directory they write info files to.  Since info merges all
   Miles> the different `dir' files into the final buffer at
   Miles> run-time, that's all that's needed.

That's fine, but I got the impression David was talking about the
specific dir file in the info directory where Emacs stuff resides.

I dunno specifically /where/! What I would hope for would be when I download, say, DoxyMacs from SourceForge I get a tar archive that includes the Info pages. As for automatic installation, that shows my current Windoze milieu. I think a script to take the bugs out of installing is a positive good thing. If you do "$ configure ...; make" then "Info" should be among the targets and should wind up doing "$ install-info" during "$ make install" Windoze users should, IMNSHO, get a shell / cmd.exe script if not something like the Cygwin netinstaller because they are accustomed to one-step installation.
--

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way