Re: INFO on add-ons

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 00:56:42 +0200

"David A. Cobb" <address@hidden> writes:

> Alex Schroeder wrote:
>
>>Not me.
>
> Y? please.

Most of the code I write fits into an elisp file.  Instead of writing
texinfo, and worrying about correct installation, and copyright info,
and layouting, and cross references, I would rather just put the stuff
in the Commentary section, and provide as much help as possible in the
defgroup, defcustom, and defun statements.  These docstrings are what
programmers and users use in their daily life.  The manuals are not
used very often.  They are nice to have for newbies, and for
user-level features that are distributed over a big number of
functions (such as how keymaps work, how extents work, how to write a
regexp, how to navigate in a buffer, etc.).

When I write sql.el, for example, I could copy and paste some stuff
into a texinfo file.  But keeping the stuff in sync would be even
worse than keeping the Commentary in sync with the rest.  The same is
true for color-theme.el, ansi-color.el, master.el, etc.

Actually, to be honest, I find the Emacs Wiki at emacswiki.org to be a
wonderful compromise.  I can put basic user-level docs there, and
other people can contribute but just editing the pages and typing.  No
fuss about texinfo, copyrights, LaTeX, info, xref, etc.  It just
works.  For me.  :)

Alex.