Re: Recent attempts at standardizing major mode definitions.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Recent attempts at standardizing major mode definitions.
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:59:02 -0500 (CDT)

I see that yesterday I forgot to answer the following question:

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   I have the following requirements:
   - it must be easy for a user to add abbrevs that are available in
     all "related" modes.

Definitely, that is essential.

   - it must be easy for a user to add abbrevs that are only available in
     a particular mode.

If the mode is not related to any other mode and is not a read-only
type mode, say dired, help buffer, info and so on, definitely.
Otherwise, I am hesitating as I already mentioned.

   - mode authors should be able to provide the above behavior without
     having to think about it (because they generally don't, especially
     since some of them don't even use abbrevs).

They can not do it completely without thinking.  They have to make a
decision about which abbrev tables to use, regardless of whether we
implement inheritance.  It is possible that say an abbrev table of a
mode is perfectly suitable for another mode even if the syntax-table
of another mode is more suitable as the parent syntax table.  Such
situations can occur.  I would rather have somebody who never uses
abbrevs think about which abbrev-table to use, than, say , have
somebody who never uses font-lock worry about font-lock-defaults.