Re: "Extreme Documentation" [was: INFO on add-ons]

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: "Extreme Documentation" [was: INFO on add-ons]
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 12:51:02 +0900

>>>>> "Thien-Thi" == Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

    Thien-Thi>    "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
    Thien-Thi> Aggregating that would be very useful, but how?

    Thien-Thi> through indirection.

Not what I meant---that is implied by "wiki".  What I am concerned
about is that wikis grow organically according to the needs of their
current users.  This does not necessarily address the needs of someone
new coming in from outside the community, not as well as an
intelligent single author/editor can.

Also, wikis and FAQs address the past and the common use.  They do not
provide much if any support for innovative users and developers as
such---but once again, an intelligent author/editor could do wonders
with that material, I bet.

Finally, a pointer from the official documentation to the wiki is
useful, but users will justifiably consider that a "punt" by the
developers.