Re: INFO on add-ons

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 11:49:25 -0400

>     Miles> I know that originally (in the days of the original emacs)
>     Miles> there actually were info files, but texinfo hadn't been
>     Miles> invented yet; how did people write info files then (by
>     Miles> hand?!)?
>
> Been there, done that.  Texinfo is not an improvement, if restricted
> to generating Info files.

Huh?!?  What kind of wacky Emacs macros did you have to maintain indices
and to ensure a consistent style when editing Info files ?

> (Obviously the retargetable backend is a
> _huge_ improvement, and I wouldn't go back, although I'd like to go
> forward from Texinfo to XMLinfo.)

What's so great about <kindex key="C-x k"/> compared to @kindex C-x k ?
What's so great about <sample>foobar</sample> compared to @sample{foobar} ?
XML has its advantages, but for a *source* format, it's just way too
cumbersome/verbose, unless you use an editor that hides the markup,
but then what would such an editor look like ?
If you say WYSIWYG, you know that it is very difficult to reconcile
with the purpose of TeXinfo which is to concentrate on the intent
and allow many *different* output formats.

        Stefan