Re: keymap in yank-excluded-properties

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: keymap in yank-excluded-properties
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 22:46:49 -0400

    It would be great if this could be used to make the whole rectangle
    system less wierd.  E.g., cut onto the normal kill-ring, and use a
    `yank-function' property to properly deal with yanking them.

This could be a good thing, especially if we make register
commands handle `yank-function' also.

    It would be nice to have a special `rectangle-mode' which would make
    _all_ the normal kill/copy commands such as C-w and M-w deal in
    `rectangles' (and use a highlighting hack to make an active region
    really look like a rectangle).

I don't think this makes sense as a mode.  I think that operating on a
rectangle is something that many users want to do once in a while, not
something certain users want to do all the time or that you always want
in certain files.

      Maybe it could be a temporary mode
    activated when you gave a special `set-rectangle-mark' command.

That interface could be a good one for rectangles.