Re: Broken lisp/Makefile.w32-in

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Broken lisp/Makefile.w32-in
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 07:08:09 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 19:59:58 +0300, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Does it help to put the redirection at the beginning of the command,
> > like below?
> >
> >   >> foo.txt for ...
>
> It does in the command line, but no from inside the makefile. nmake
> complains that it cannot execute the "for" command.

How about if you invoke command.com explicitly, like this:

        command.com /c for .... >>foo.txt

(If this works, we will have a problem of figuring out when to use
command.com and when cmd.exe, but it might nevertheless be worthwhile to
know whether the bug goes away this way.)

> As a last resort I can split WINS into two variables, like
>
>  WINS_NO_TERM=\
>       calc \
>       calendar \
>       etc ... \
>
>  WINS=$(WINS_NO_TERM) term
>
> and use WINS_NO_TERM in update-subdirs, but that's just an *ugly* hack :)

If it does the job, there's nothing ugly about it.  Windows shells are
themselves ugly hacks, so any means of getting them to do what we want is
IMHO justified ;-)