Re: keymap in yank-excluded-properties

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: keymap in yank-excluded-properties
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:18:51 +0000 (UTC)

   address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
   > If you look at the version included with CVS emacs, you'll find that I
   > actually have split off most of the rectangle support ...

Good!

   > Hm, shouldn't be that difficult...  Only "problem" will be that the
   > commands and variables for the new rectangle supports still uses the cua-
   > prefix ...

Miles:

   It's not hard to change the prefix.

Please change the prefix.

I see no reason to study changes in cua, but might be interested in
something involving rectangles.  Did someone say that the code
highlights rectangles, but does not involve transient mark mode?  If
so, your feature might be very nice!

By putting the new rectangle supports in a cua package you are,
effectively, hiding them.  I am sure that few would think of looking
for rectangle support in a cua package.  I can imagine a conversation:

    First hacker:

        Oh, I want some new rectangle support.

    Second hacker:

        Look into the cua package, remove all the stuff associated with
        cua, except its new rectangle support.

This is not the way to increase use of rectangle support!

But if my understanding is correct, you have written a really nice feature!

--
    Robert J. Chassell            address@hidden  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com