Re: INFO on add-ons

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:54:33 +0000 (UTC)

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> provided a nice blurb about
XML.  That is a beginning.  I have saved it.    Thank you!

Now, more questions:

I have two documents.  One has the heading:

    <!DOCTYPE Book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">

and the other has the heading:

    <!DOCTYPE texinfo SYSTEM "texinfo.dtd">

(I just created these files with the shell commands:

   makeinfo --docbook --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 --verbose foo.texi
   makeinfo --xml --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 --verbose foo.texi

The file were created without reported error, and I presume they
actually fit the DocBook V3.1 and texinfo DTDs.  I do know that the
foo.texi Texinfo source produces good Info and DVI files, since I have
looked at them.)

What do I do to convert these XML files to Info, HTML, and to DVI or
other typesetting markup?

My questions are specific; pretend (well, no need to pretend... :)
that I don't know anything:

  - what files do I download and install?

  - (Ideally, what are the appropriate Debian /etc/apt/sources.list lines and
the
    apt-get commands?)

  - what commands do I run to create the output files?

In other words, what is the currently existing XML processor I should
use, where do I get it, and what are the specific commands I should
give it?

Thanks.

--
    Robert J. Chassell            address@hidden  address@hidden