Re: keymap in yank-excluded-properties

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: keymap in yank-excluded-properties
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:48:06 +0000 (UTC)

       It would be nice to have a special `rectangle-mode' which would make
       _all_ the normal kill/copy commands such as C-w and M-w deal in
       `rectangles' (and use a highlighting hack to make an active region
       really look like a rectangle).

   I don't think this makes sense as a mode.

It could be a `context specific minor mode', as proposed for table.el,
activated, perhaps, when you give a special `set-rectangle-mark'
command.

Hmmm .... Emacs Calc embedded mode creates what is, in effect, a
`context specific minor mode' for the appropriate region in a non-Calc
buffer.  This concept is a good way to think about what goes on.

Below is an example of Calc embedded mode.  I am actually using Calc
embedded mode in this Mail mode buffer to write this message.

What I am trying to say is that I think it is useful to think of Calc
as creating a `context specific minor mode' when you run the embedded
mode commands, and that in talking about table.el and the new
rectangle support commands, the idea of a `context specific minor
mode' is useful.

   (To calculate the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle.
    Press `M-# u' (`calc-embedded-update-formula') within each region
    delimited by $ pairs.)

    If the two short side of the triangle are

       $ a := 3.1 $

       $ b := 4.1 $

    then the length of the hypotenuse is

       $ c := sqrt(a^2 + b^2) => $.

    which, when you press `M-# u' a third time, becomes:

       $ c := sqrt(a^2 + b^2) => 5.14003891036 $.

    (Sometimes 5.14003891036 is shown as sqrt(26.42); that depends on
    your settings.  The floating point number should be the default.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell            address@hidden  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com