RE: Error in emacs/emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi

From: Harig, Mark A.
Subject: RE: Error in emacs/emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:41:43 -0400

"M-x report-emacs-bug RET" causes emacs to initiate an email
message to 'address@hidden'.  Is this address somehow
the same location as 'address@hidden'?  I am using
GNU Emacs version 21.2.

>> * Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).
>>             A simple introduction to Emacs Lisp programming.
>>
>> This appears to be an error.  Because the .info file is named
>> 'emacs-lisp-intro', it should not reference the file 'eintr'
>> in the Info 'dir' file.  Instead, the '@setfilename' line should
>> refer to 'emacs-lisp-intro'.
>
>No, this is not a bug.  I'm guessing that you invoked makeinfo manually

>to produce the Info output, and used the --output option to tell
makeinfo
>the name of the output file.  In the Emacs sources,
lispintro/Makefile.in
>takes care of putting the output into info/eintr, so that the menu item

>in the top-level DIR menu works.

I did not invoke makeinfo.  I fetched the .gz file at the GNU web site:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-lisp-intro/emacs-lisp-intro.info.gz

It contained the reference to '(eintr)' in a file
named 'emacs-lisp-intro.info'.

I will forward your comments that this is not a bug in the source
code, but rather a bug in the way that the .info file(s) is generated.

At present, any one who retrieves the .gz file, above, will need
to edit the .info file, or rename it from 'emacs-lisp-intro.info'
to 'eintr'.

I will send my bug report to address@hidden, as you have
said.

Thanks!