Re: Recent attempts at standardizing major mode definitions.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Recent attempts at standardizing major mode definitions.
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:52:02 -0500 (CDT)

Sefan Monnier wrote:

   Oh, I see.  I didn't know there was a fundamental-mode-abbrev-table.
   How odd!
   fundamental-mode has no local keymap, no hook, no nothing (basically)
   but it has its own abbrev-table.

   Does anybody know why there is such a thing ?

Yes.  Before Emacs21, there was no fundamental-mode-abbrev-table, but
a fundamental-mode-abbrev-table was listed in the output of M-x
edit-abbrevs.  I pointed out to Gerd that this was inconsistent.
Either that table should be defined or it should not be listed.
Otherwise people might try to use it.  I actually tried exactly that
to construct a test case for Gerd concerning some other abbrev related
bug.  Gerd decided that the correct way to resolve the inconsistency
was to define a fundamental-mode-abbrev-table.  Clearly, you seem to
disagree with that decision.  I personally only use
fundamental-mode-abbrev-table to investigate bugs.  I do obviously not
save these abbrevs to .abbrev_defs.  I clearly could use other local
abbrev-tables to investigate bugs.  Normally, my
fundamental-mode-abbrev-table is empty.  However, since it is defined
now and people could be using it, I believe it would, at the present
stage, be unwise to try to reverse Gerd's decision.

Of course, the argument can be made that any abbrev general enough to
expand in fundamental-mode should actually be defined as a global
abbrev.  However, anybody who, in spite of this, nevertheless finds
some use for fundamental-mode-abbrev-table can use it. Other people
can just ignore it.

Sincerely,

Luc.