Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:03:41 -0400

    RMS complained about even chaneglogs getting changed,

I recall these changes but not what caused them.  Were they caused by
the emacs-unicode branch?

If so, what exactly was the nature of the change that occurred?  Was
the change a matter of replacing one correct iso-2022 representation
with a different but equally correct representation for the same
characters?  Or was the change bigger than that?

If the change was bigger than that, it could be a bug that should be
fixed.

                                                          but it will
    certainly screw various Emacs 21 lisp/{international,language} files.

As part of convertng Emacs to use unicode for most characters,
won't we also change these files to use unicode?  So they won't
be clobbered.

Editing the non-unicode Emacs 21 files might change them, indeed.  Is
this an inevitable consequence of the unification done by Unicode?  If
so, we may as well just accept it, right?