Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 22:42:14 +0200

>     RMS complained about even chaneglogs getting changed,
>
> I recall these changes but not what caused them.  Were they caused by
> the emacs-unicode branch?

I b0rked the ChangeLog files a couple of times.

> If so, what exactly was the nature of the change that occurred?  Was
> the change a matter of replacing one correct iso-2022 representation
> with a different but equally correct representation for the same
> characters?  Or was the change bigger than that?

In my case, the í in Pavel Janík's name was changed from a Latin-2
character to a Latin-1 character.

I had turned on unify-8859-on-decoding-mode.  This unification is the
correct behavior, I think, for unify-8859-on-decoding-mode.  I turned
this mode off and I haven't clobbered the file since.  (AFAIK.)

I tried to devise a file variable that would turn off this mode for a
specific file, but the implementation of unify-8859-on-decoding-mode
appears to be such that this is difficult: it uses translation
tables, which are global.

>                                                         but it will
>     certainly screw various Emacs 21 lisp/{international,language} files.
>
> As part of convertng Emacs to use unicode for most characters,
> won't we also change these files to use unicode?  So they won't
> be clobbered.

> Editing the non-unicode Emacs 21 files might change them, indeed.  Is
> this an inevitable consequence of the unification done by Unicode?  If
> so, we may as well just accept it, right?

Yep.

kai