Re: Customizing key bindings (was: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customizing key bindings (was: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..)
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 00:01:19 -0400

    Everytime customize "set" the variable, the entire keymap is recreated
    from scratch.

It is not entirely clear what "from scratch" means here.  The natural
meaning of "create the global map again from scratch" would mean to
make an empty map and load bindings.el into it, but I am sure that is
not what the code does.

Could someone please explain more precisely what data it is recreated
from?  That makes all the difference.

    With your code, the rules are simle:  If you change a keymap with
    customize, all other changes are lost.

I doubt there is a fundamental reason why all other changes should be
lost.  When someone explains to me why this happens at present,
I will look for a way to prevent it.