Re: Several serious problems

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Several serious problems
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:38:29 +0000 (UTC)

[This started as a question regarding `unify-8859-on-encoding-mode', but
has evolved to a `themes' related question!]

   Yes.  But, that mode is on by default in RC too.

How do I determine easily whether unify-8859-on-encoding-mode is on or
off by default in particular instances of Emacs.  Currently, I am
running two instances, one a `plain vanilla' Emacs, and another that
loads a 150kb .emacs file.  I would like to know whether
`unify-8859-on-encoding-mode' is on or off in my `plain vanilla'
Emacs.

I am not actually trying to track down the code (which I have done
anyhow.  Evidentally, `ucs-fragment-8859' sets properties to `nil',
but I don't know whether they are changed elsewhere.).

Rather I am looking for a mechanism that reports the complete current
status.

The `mule-diag' command does this for other features, and I thought
it might provide the unify status, too, but it does not.  (Probably
for the good reason that eventually, unify will always be on.)

Instead, it turns out that I am looking for a reporter that tells me
everything about the current state of a particular instance of Emacs,
including variables and properties; in other words, including the
values of `(mule-diag)', `(describe-bindings)',
`(current-frame-configuration)', `load-path', and so on.

This reporter would be useful for anyone working on themes, since it
would mean you could go back to any number of previous states.

(And yes, the resulting status files will be big, perhaps too big for
any normal use.  But right now I am concerned more about the
capability than about optimization.  I don't know whether the
capability merits optimization but think it is a simplification worth
providing to moderately knowledgeable hackers.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell            address@hidden  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com