Re: Recent attempts at standardizing major mode definitions.

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Recent attempts at standardizing major mode definitions.
Date: 06 Sep 2002 11:48:18 -0700

> What's a "true" derived mode ?
> Is latex-mode a true derived mode of text-mode ?
> Should c-mode be a true derived mode of prog-mode ?
> Should dired-mode be a true derived mode of list-mode ?

I'm jumping in a little bit here without knowing the whole thread, so
forgive a possibly dumb question.

The object-oriented answer to your first question would be that a
"true" derived mode would be one that uses one or more other modes for
"base" functionality and then adds to, or overrides some of, the base
functionality with new functions.  Done correctly, it could encourage
encapsulation and reuse.

Shouldn't the answer to your other three questions be "yes"?

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.