Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 20:32:41 -0400

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 02:53:36AM +0200, Kim F. Storm wrote:
> But what's does it mean to delete a key binding?

I interepret it as `remove the binding from this map' -- in other words, if
it's global-map, you probably get an unbound error, but if it's some mode
map, it probably results in the global binding showing through (this is
important, become some modes define really annoying local bindings).

In other words an `active delete'.  In customize's saved-state in the startup
files, this would be represented by an entry saying `remove this key from
this map'.

That's distinct from the operation of restoring the default binding -- this
is something that probably would be merely a user-interface operation.  This
wouldn't be represented in the saved-state at all (other than by the asbsence
of any binding or binding-deletion for a key, thus ensuring the default gets
used).

I guess maybe your point was -- we gotta stash the default bindings somewhere
so that customize can know what to restore...

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.