Re: Customizing key bindings

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Customizing key bindings
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:43:43 -0400

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 04:08:59PM +0200, Alex Schroeder wrote:
> Hm, but while we are in the same session, potential bug remain (the
> ones that Per keeps talking about).
>
> 1. Load foo.el which uses defkeymap to create a keymap with binding A
>    for one key.
> 2. Customize the keymap with binding B for the same key.  The shadowed
>    binding A is saved.
> 3. Load foo-extra or call a hook that uses define-key to change the
>    binding for the same key to C.
> 4. Customize the keymap.  I think it is ok to see binding C, because
>    after all that is what happens to variables as well.  The problem
>    is that when the user removes the binding for that key, we revert
>    to binding A, instead of B.
> We had a solution using two variables instead of one, which was
> considered a drawback.  In step 4, however, this two-variable solution
> would have reverted to binding B.

The above situation seems rather silly (and unlikely); if `foo-extra' screws
around like that, then I don't think we should expect custom to intuit what
the right thing to do is.  If a hook overrode the binding, on the other hand,
then I think restoring to A is the _right_ thing to do (the custom command is
probably `restore to original setting').

> This is what Per calls the 100% solution.

... which is a misnomer, since it's not really `100%', just 90% with a
different 10% cut out.

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.