Re: Customizing key bindings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Customizing key bindings
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:33:34 -0400

> > Non-trival differences in behavior based on (interactive-p) are
> > something that make me nervous.
> Me too, but nobody protested when Stefan added such functionality to
> define-minor-mode, so I presumed it was an acceptable solution.

In the case of define-minor-mode, the use of interactive-p (which
I tend to dislike) only has "trivial" impact: it is used to decide
whether to output a message and whether to consider the change as
"explicitly asked by the user so custom can consider it as a
user-customization".  This last difference has no impact whatsoever
as long as you don't use custom.

So I think using interactive-p is OK as long as it's only to
record some info for customize the use later, but it's not OK if
it actually changes the behavior of the command when it is
invoked.

        Stefan