Re: address@hidden: Poor performance over DSL link]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Poor performance over DSL link]
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 19:33:42 -0400

    As it happens, I finally realized (by watching the rhythm of the traffic)
    that Emacs 21's software blinking cursor was causing the traffic.

I am surprised that blinking every .5 second causes so much traffic.

Does this cure the sluggishness too?

    We should add this to PROBLEMS.

Yes, once we are finished understanding the situation.

    Since the other suggestions mentioned there to improve performance can
    be controlled via the Options->Show/Hide menu [PROBLEMS could mention
    that], we might consider to add a menu item for controlling the
    blinking cursor as well, e.g Option->Show/Hide->Blinking Cursor

Ok.