Re: address@hidden: fonts on terminal?]

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: address@hidden: fonts on terminal?]
Date: 11 Sep 2002 13:17:55 +0900

Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> writes:
> Yeah, I am sorry, that sentence was never spelled out in its entirety.  It
> should say: "supporting alternative (italics, bold) faces for font lock mode
> in the term bottom handler of emacs", ie the part that translates abstract
> descriptions to actual terminal escape sequences to produce the corresponding
> face.

Right, that part's simple.

One problem is that emacs allows faces to have `device dependent'
definitions, for cases where the most general definition isn't emulated
well.  A fair number of emacs' standard faces have `tty-specific'
definitions, and some of these might assume that ttys never have italic
(bold's probably not a problem, since ttys already sort-of support bold
via intensity).

I recently added capability-testing support (the `supports' clause) to
the face code so any faces that make that assumption about ttys could be
changed to directly test for italic support instead.

[In general I think the above isn't really a problem, since most
`tty-dependent' face definitions actually care about the color depth
(though this is another thing that should be changed to use a
capability-testing model instead).]

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge