Re: [LONG] Some thougths and a patch for the search menu-bar functions

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: [LONG] Some thougths and a patch for the search menu-bar functions
Date: 11 Sep 2002 22:46:01 +0200

Damien Terrier <address@hidden> writes:

> The most significant change was in the organisation of the search
> functions. Four items in the last sub-menu is enough and it is much
> easier to click on the right one. That's what I don't like in the old
> menu, it starts to be a bit populated.  Then, I divided in two and
> then, in two again. That's why the new version asks "Interactive
> Search or Non Interactive Search ?", then "forward or backwards ?"
> then, the choice for one of four item "Search/Repeat Search // Search
> Regepx/Repeat Search Regexp".

I don't use the menus for searches, but I tend to agree that your
approach makes more sense that the current mess (IMHO).

However, your menu strings seems overly verbose to me.

Here is a your proposed menu structure:

 Edit
   -> Search and Replace
        -> Incremental Search
                  -> I-Search Forward ...
                  -> I-Search Regexp Forward ...
             -> Backwards
                  -> I-Search Backwards ...
                  -> I-Search Regexp Backwards ...
        -> Non-Incremental Search
                  -> Search Forward ...
                  -> Search Regexp Forward ...
             -> Backwards
                  -> Search Backwards ...
                  -> Search Regexp Backwards ...
        -> Replace
             -> Replace ...
             -> Replace regexp ...
        -> Search and replace in tagged files
             -> Search in all tagged files
             -> Replace in all tagged files
             -> Continue Tag Search/Replace

I think this can be further reorganized and simplified:

 Edit
        -> Incremental
                  -> String ...
                  -> Regexp ...
             -> Backwards
                  -> String ...
                  -> Regexp ...
        -> Non-Incremental
                  -> String ...
                  -> Regexp ...
             -> Backwards
                  -> String ...
                  -> Regexp ...
        -> In tagged files
   -> Replace
        -> String ...
        -> Regexp ...
        -> In all tagged files
        -> Continue Next Tag

I think this is better in line with many other applications which
separate Search and Replace into two items on the Edit menu.