Re: address@hidden: Poor performance over DSL link]

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Poor performance over DSL link]
Date: 12 Sep 2002 00:38:06 +0200

>     But there were still several areas which could be improved - but it
>     would be non-trivial to do so, either because X-servers have different
>     capabilities, or because the "excessive" traffic was partially caused
>     by some of the X-library functions.
>
> What areas are they?  Maybe someone else would like to work on it.
> At very least we can put them in etc/TODO.

It's been a long time, but I used Ethereal to trace the X traffic, and it
was quite obvious that the same sequences of events were repeated over
and over again...

IIRC, it had to do with allocating colors (or pixels?) in the X
server, updating [tiny parts of the display], and then deallocating
the colors - and doing that over and over for every tiny update.

I discussed ways to cache this information with Gerd, but it was
non-trivial because different X-servers had different number of
available colors/pixels, so it seemed to be difficult to do in a
general way.

>     I'm afraid I no longer have the correspondance with Gerd and Richard
>     on this issue; any chance that either of you still have a copy [I think
>     my email address at the time was address@hidden ?
>
> If I received the messages, I still have them.  What time period should
> I search?

Try January/February 2001