Re: Bug in remote file save.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Bug in remote file save.
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:13:44 -0400

Can you please tell us *exactly* what to type to reproduce this?

    In GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
     of 2002-04-08 on porky.devel.redhat.com
    configured using `configure  i386-redhat-linux-gnu ...

    Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
    and the precise symptoms of the bug:

    I dired a directory remotely,  C-xd /address@hidden:/var/www/html/website,
open
    and edit a file, it saves the first time correctly.  For each further edit,
    it gives a beep and the message "Keyboard macro terminated by command
    ringing the bell".  Then, emacs thinks that I have an old copy of the file,
    and gives the messages confirming that I want to edit an old version, and
    prompting the next time I save to verify that I want to overwrite a newer
    file.  When the beep comes, the file is not saved properly.