Re: [LONG] Some thougths and a patch for the search menu-bar functions

From: Urban Engberg
Subject: Re: [LONG] Some thougths and a patch for the search menu-bar functions
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:40:01 +0200

Kim Storm writes:

> With this layout, all search and replace commands are on level 2
> except for Isearch which is on level 3.

In my opinion, incremental search is a major selling factor of Emacs
-- it's always one of the first things I show people, when introducing
them to Emacs, and which most people tend to understand very quickly.
On the other hand, regular expressions are seldom something new users
will be using.  So, I think an even better layout would be:

   Edit

      Search  > Forward...
                Backward...
                Forward Incremental...
                Backward Incremental...
                -----------------------
                Repeat Forward
                Repeat Backward
                -----------------------
                Search Tagged Files...
                Continue Search
                -----------------------
                Regexp Search           > Forward...
                                          Backward...
                                          Forward Incremental...
                                          Backward Incremental...

      Replace > Replace String...
                Replace Regexp...
                Replace in tagged files
                Continue replace

i.e., with all search and isearch commands on level 2 and regexp on
level 3.

(I would even put incremental search at the top, persuading new users
to try it out -- but that's not overly important).

--
Urban Engberg  *  address@hidden