Re: gamegrid.el and some games

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: gamegrid.el and some games
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:16:02 +0200

Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden> writes:

> I am resending here, hoping to find a bigger audience, a message I had
> sent (by error) to emacs-pretest-bug.
>
> 1) why
>    (featurep 'xpm) => nil
>    even though in config.h I have #define HAVE_XPM 1 ?  Is this a bug?
>    Or maybe it is a Xemacs thing?

It is an XEmacs thing. To test for XPM in Emacs you can use.

(image-type-available-p 'xpm)

I don't know if it is depreciated to use this function, though. It is
not even mentioned in the Elisp Reference of Emacs 21.2.

I have send a patch some time ago, which enables XPM (and PBM) for
gamegrid. (BTW what happend to this patch?) It uses `display-images-p'
and `find-image' to get the appropriate graphics.

[...]
>    As you can see, foreground and background are set to the same
>    colour, thus preventing the possibility of anything different
>    from a coloured space.  Is this intentional or a bug?  What I
>    would have done is to have a function with a third optional
>    argument for the case when one wants something different from a
>    square.  For example, both in pong.el and tetris.el, the "dot"
>    should naturally be an asterisk.
[...]

I guess gamegrid is mainly supposed to provide simple grids,
i.e. colored squares. The option to use characters is -- I guess --
intended only as a fallback on ttys without color. OTOH: it allows to
utilize arbitrary XPM images ... A simple optional third argument
won't do AFAICS, because gamegrid is supposed to work through the
definition of a spec list for all cases.

You can get a non-colored asterisk for pong by changing the specs for
the ball like this:

(setq pong-ball-options
  '(((glyph colorize)
     (t ?\*))