Re: Bug in remote file save.

From: Alan Shutko
Subject: Re: Bug in remote file save.
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:27:32 -0400

> It seems like a bug to me that a Emacs is unable to visit a file
> because of a time mismatch.  And it is surely a bug that the error
> message talks about keyboard macros.

It's not unable to visit the file.  It's unable to save it.  And the
base cause makes sense, which is why I never reported it.

When you save a file to a machine with a clock significantly ahead of
yours, the timestamp on the remote file will be well past the time
Emacs thinks it saved it.  So it'll think it's been modified by some
other program and will check to make sure you really want to save it.

The only reason this doesn't work is the (beep) thinks it's in a
keyboard macro, which you fixed in July on HEAD.  That code should
probably be put in the RC branch, unless it depends on something
else... I didn't trace it too far.

--
Alan Shutko <address@hidden> - In a variety of flavors!
Start showing up early for work