Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Steven T. Hatton
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 18:11:18 -0400

On Saturday 14 September 2002 17:12, Luc Teirlinck wrote:
> Steven T. Hatton wrote:
>
>    I'm not finding the documentation to be very helpful in determining
>    what the 'standard' packages are, and how to install them.  Is
>    there a cheat sheet for this?
>
> Are you talking about C-h p or am I misunderstanding you?

I think you misunderstood the question, but that *is* part of the answer. :-)

I was actually asking if there is a list of what packages 'should' be
installed in order for Emacs to act 'normal'.  I also was looking for
something which will tell me how to install packages in the 'correct' way.
For example, I don't believe psgml is installed in my cvs-built setup.  I
would like to install that, 'correctly'.

From browsing that (C-h p) list it looks as though a lack of packages is *not*
my primary problem.  Here's an example of what's going on:  When I open an
elisp file and select Options->Syntax Highlighting, I get an error message in
the echo area saying:
"Wrong type argument: commandp, (quote global-font-lock-mode)"

The SuSE built emacs works find in the same user environment.

Where'd I go wrong? This is similar to the problems I have with XEmacs when I
don't have the packages available to the executable.

> Sincerely,
>
> Luc.

-- STH