Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:37:20 -0500 (CDT)

Steven Hatton wrote:

   For example, I don't believe psgml is installed in my cvs-built setup.  I
   would like to install that, 'correctly'.

I somehow "missed" this concrete question.  Because you kept talking
about "standard" packages, my answers concentrated on the packages
listed by C-h p (or Find Emacs Packages under Help on the menu-bar),
for which no real "installation" is necessary, although you still have
to "load" them (or better "require" them, to avoid repeated loading).
For the most often used packages you do not even need to do that,
because the customize facility or the menu-bar will do that
automatically for you.  In the current CVS version, there is a bug in
the menu-bar, as I pointed out.

For other packages, there is the Find Extra Packages option under Help
on the menu-bar.  A buffer "MORE.STUFF" will appear.  You can conduct
a search for psgml in that buffer.

Result:

 * PSGML: <URL:http://www.lysator.liu.se/projects/about_psgml.html>
   DTD-aware serious SGML/XML editing.

I personally know of no better way to do this kind of stuff.

Sincerely,

Luc.