Bug in menu-bar-make-mm-toggle?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Bug in menu-bar-make-mm-toggle?
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 13:03:40 -0500 (CDT)

>From one of my earlier messages:

   Steven T. Hattonn wrote:

      When I open an elisp file and select Options->Syntax Highlighting,
      I get an error message in the echo area saying: "Wrong type
      argument: commandp, (quote global-font-lock-mode)"

      The SuSE built emacs works find in the same user environment.

   In my previous reply, I believe I forgot to read this last sentence.
   This behavior is definitely a recently introduced bug.  The bug does
   not occur in emacs-21.2.90 -q.

The problem not only occurs for Syntax Highlighting, but also for the
two options directly below it.

I believe menu-bar-make-mm-toggle is the culprit.  The following is a
macroexpansion of actual code in menu-bar.el:

===File ~/menu-bar-stuff====================================
*** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
ELISP> (macroexpand '(menu-bar-make-mm-toggle global-font-lock-mode
                                              "Syntax Highlighting"
                                              "Colorize text based on language
syntax (Global Font Lock mode)"))
'(menu-item "Syntax Highlighting" 'global-font-lock-mode :help "Colorize text
based on language syntax (Global Font Lock mode)" :button
            (:toggle and
                     (default-boundp 'global-font-lock-mode)
                     (default-value 'global-font-lock-mode)))

ELISP>

'(menu-item "Syntax Highlighting" 'global-font-lock-mode

I do not believe that global-font-lock-mode is supposed to be quoted
here.  I believe this explains the bug.

Sincerely,

Luc.