Re: dired uses wrong `ls' switches for Tramp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: dired uses wrong `ls' switches for Tramp
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:53:30 -0400

    In dired-insert-directory, I see that "--dired" is added to the list
    of switches if the local ls groks that argument.

    But the remote ls might not grok it, so I'm looking for a way to
    prevent "--dired" from being added in those cases.

I think it should test file-remote-p, and refrain from using
--dired for any remote files.  This is right because there is never
any way to tell whether the remote file system supports --dired.

I can imagine another, more laborious approach: to make Tramp and
Ange-FTP notice the --dired option and "handle" it.  However, they
ucan't handle it with full correctness; the most they could do is scan
the output to identify the file names and fake up the --dired output
to go with them.  This would produce results that are no better than
Dired can get without the --dired option.  So this approach would be
lots of extra work and no real benefit.

Would you like to install the call to file-remote-p?