Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:44:50 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:28:14 -0400
>
>       If each part of the menu were sorted alphabetically, would that help?
>       We could make install-info do that.
>
>     It already does.  If we're talking about the Info dir file.
>
> It is not ordered alphabetically in my Info dir file.

If you are talking about the DIR file which comes with Emacs, then
it's done on purpose.  See below.

IIRC, install-info sorts sections and in each section it sorts the
entries of that section.

> Is this a recent change in install-info?

It's not a recent change, but the code was made more reliable in
Texinfo 4.0.

> Meanwhile, there should be some exceptions to alphabetical order.  For
> instance, in the Emacs section, the Emacs item should come first.

That's exactly the reason why the DIR file in the Emacs distribution
is not really sorted alphabetically.  It is produced by hand rather
than by install-info, and the order comes from a human.