Re: CVS leim tit files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CVS leim tit files
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:50:21 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > That would lose many useful CVS features which are available only
> > with text files (such as "cvs annotate", "cvs diff", etc.).
>
> I don't know where you got this idea

>From the CVS manual.  It only talks about "cvs diff", but I recall that
RCS had problems with line-oriented info, so I assumed annotate would
lose as well.  Sorry if I was wrong.

> > I suggest to solve that on the Cygwin level.  The whole text/binary
> > nuisance is a Windows/Cygwin problem whose solution shouldn't IMHO
> > affect users of other platforms.
>
> I wouldn't trust the cygwin people to solve this problem

I didn't mean that Cygwin maintainers should do that.  I meant that the
solution should be specific to Cygwin, either in the Emacs code or in the
way the Cygwin port of the CVS client is set up, or maybe even in the way
filesystems are ``mounted'' by Cygwin on the user's machine.

> maybe
> we should investigate to see why the eol convention used in those files
> matters at all.

Unless someone already knows why, I fully agree.