Re: gamegrid.el and some games

From: Gerd Moellmann
Subject: Re: gamegrid.el and some games
Date: 20 Sep 2002 08:54:51 +0200

>     Pardon my ignorance: what happens with colour images on monochrome
>     displays? Are they displayed in shades of gray if
>     `display-grayscale-p' returns [non-]nil?
>
> I don't know.  Gerd, can you answer?

Image colors are allocated with a function that allocates the nearest
color available on the display where the image is to be displayed.
That is, one will get something displayed for a color image on a mono
or grayscale display, but I doubt it will be of very high quality.

>     Are there any displays for which `display-images-p' returns t, but
>     both `display-color-p' and `display-grayscale-p' return nil? Is it
>     necessary to make sure that gamegrid.el DTRT on such displays?
>
> There certainly WERE computers whose displays could only show black
> and white.  Using X on those displays, it would be proper for
> display-images-p to return t and the other two to return nil.
>
> It is possible that no such displays have been built in recent years.
> gamegrid.el should do SOME kind of Right Thing on those displays, but
> pretending they cannot draw images might be good enough.

I think XFree contains a mono server for VGA displays.