Re: gamegrid.el and some games

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: gamegrid.el and some games
Date: 20 Sep 2002 18:40:43 +0900

Oliver Scholz <address@hidden> writes:
> I know nothing about graphical black&white displays. I assume -- but
> this is just a wild guess -- that on such a display _every_ coloured
> pixel appears as black.

I'm not sure what that means.  On a B&W display, there are two colors,
black, and white.

If you ignore the fact that you're on a B&W display, and try to use
_other_ colors, then Gerd says it will try to pick the `nearest'
supported color instead; I guess this means that `dark looking' colors
will show up as black, and `light looking' colors will show up as
white.  For pictures this will probably end up looking awful, but for
simple high-contrast stuff, it may work quite well.

> So I agree that it's best and safest to use simple ascii-chars on
> displays for which
>
> (and (display-images-p) (not (or (display-color-p) (display-grayscale-p))))

That seems unnecessarily conservative, but whatever, you're doing the work...

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page