Re: \201 back again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: \201 back again
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 00:54:04 +0300

> From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:04:47 +0200
>
> > Here's the header I see on my system:

> > This is perfectly valid, AFAICS.
>
> Maybe, some mail gateway did add those lines for you.
>
> But these lines were missing from the original posting -- RMS never
> ever bothers to add such stuff, I guess ;) :

Sorry,  I now see that I looked at a wrong message, not the one you
had in mind.

Richard's message indeed shows \201 characters, but that's only
because they were present in the message itself:

      (re-search-forward "[=C2=81=C2=AB=C2=81=C2=BB{}()]" nil t)

See those 0xC2 characters before each 8-bit Latin-9 code?

As for the encoding, it says this:

So the question now is how come Richard's Emacs sent such a badly
encoded message, and why did it think it was in UTF-8 when in fact it
was in emacs-mule?