Re: Emacs server without emacsserver.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Emacs server without emacsserver.
Date: 21 Sep 2002 02:58:26 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> >     Should I install the change ?
> >     I.e. are there systems where emacsserver.c works but
> >     (make-network-process :server t :family 'local) doesn't ?
> >
> > I don't know.  Please ask emacs-devel.  address@hidden might know.
> >
> > Maybe you can tell by studying the conditionals around
> > make-network-process and seeing which s/ or m/ flles define macros in
> > such a way that it won't be turned on.  If autoconf macros are
> > being tested, see if emacsclient.c tests the same ones.
>
> Any idea ?

I don't know whether :family 'local is supported on all systems where
emacsserver.c works -- if AF_UNIX is the only type of socket used by
emacsserver.c, I would say yes, but otherwise, I would suggest that
the lisp code should support the other protocol families/protocols
used by emacsserver.c.

You can use (featurep 'make-network-process '(:family local)) etc. to
check whether :family 'local is supported -- and if not, support other
protocols (in accordance with what emacsclient is using).