Re: problem of define-minor-mode while bootstrapping

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: problem of define-minor-mode while bootstrapping
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:08:59 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
writes:
>>  What I want is to make this work well at bootstrapping time
>>  because now ucs-tables.el is preloaded.

> Does it not work right now ?

Yes, but it works right just because
        (ucs-unify-8859 'encode-only)
is explicitly called after loading ucs-tables.el.

> Why is it worse ?  It's the programmer's responsability to
> make sure that the init-value is consistent with the state
> of Emacs when the file is loaded.

That's what I didn't know.  When I see the previous code of
define-minor-mode, I thought that it's the responsibility of
define-minor-mode to synchronize the Emacs's status with
:init-value.  So, it appears to me that your change just
gives it up.

If it's the programmer's responsibility, it is cleaner that
we have this line:
        (ucs-unify-8859 'encode-only)
just after (define-minor-mode unify-8859-on-encoding-mode
...) in ucs-tables.el than having it in loadup.el.

> If you want it to be automatic, then what's wrong with the code
> suggested above to which you said "No" ?

Because it doesn't solve the original problem, i.e.,
eval-after-load doesn't work at bootstrapping time.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden