Re: bug in ielm: patch. Related problem with end-of-line.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: bug in ielm: patch. Related problem with end-of-line.
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:40:57 -0500 (CDT)

   The output of C-h v end-of-line contains the following line:

   if N is nil or 1, and point starts at a field boundary, point does not
   move.

   This is not quite accurate: there is an exception.  Point does not
   move *unless* the previous character has a non-nil rear-nonsticky
   text-property *and* a text-property field eq to boundary.  Then point
   *does* move over the field.  Comint and its derived modes rely heavily
   on this exception.

Actually, although the description of the situation is correct, my
interpretation of it was, I believe wrong.

If point is at the beginning of a buffer, or after a character with a
rear-nonsticky field property, different from the following
character's field property, then I believe C-e should move point over
the following field, regardless of whether the previous character's
field property is `boundary'.  I checked that this actually was the
behavior in emacs-21.2.90.  The problems I described do not occur in
21.2.90.  So maybe it might be good to revert to the 21.2.90 behavior.

Sincerely,

Luc.