Re: tags completion bug

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: tags completion bug
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 19:27:23 +0200

   Isn't there a convention of when to use an explicit tagname and when
   to use an implicit one (i.e. an unnamed entry) when generating the
   TAGS file?

There is one, but it is very recent, newer thatn the etags.c in the RC
branch.  The conventions is described in etc/ETAGS.EBNF.

   Looking at the comment before make_tag in etags.c it seems that * should
   indeed be considered as part of the implicit tagname, so the bug is in
   etags.c (it shouldn't have used an implicitly named entry).

The etags.c that is in the RC branch is older than that convention,
which defines what an implicitly named entry is.  I was suggesting to
put the new etags.c on the RC branch.

   Changing etags.el would also mean that it would fail to get the proper
   name if the implicit entry's name contains * (which is frequent in
   CommonLisp code, for example).

Okay, that is an answer to my first question, thanks.  This means that
etags.el should not be changed.