Re: XPM images

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: XPM images
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 01:45:12 +0200

>     * The "splash.xpm" image that is displayed with the startup-message,
>       is a little bigger. While the Lisp-conversion is IMO fast enough for
>       small images like icons, it would slow down the startup notably to
>       use it on splash.xpm.
>
> We have a file splash.pbm as well.  I presume that Emacs will use that
> rather than use your code, right?  So the slowdown is only hypothetical,
> right?

Not necessarily. It depends on the chosen solution. The decision
between splash.pbm and splash.xpm is made in startup.el, based on
functions provided by image.el. So if I go on and hook the
Lisp-conversion into images.el (I guess that would be `create-image'),
it _could_ affect the choice of the image. Of course, I could also
make sure in startup.el that this does not happen. That's why I
asked. Another solution could be to use PPM instead of XPM for the
coloured image, which is, as Gerd said, always supported.

    -- Oliver

--
Oliver Scholz               6 Vendémiaire an 211 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!