Re: status of utf-8.el, etc [Re: Several serious problems]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: status of utf-8.el, etc [Re: Several serious problems]
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 22:22:22 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
writes:
>>  In article <address@hidden>, "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
>> writes:
>>  >>  (1-1) unify-8859-on-encoding-mode can't be turned off safely.
>>  > I still haven't heard of any reason why it should ever be turned off
>> anyway.
>>  > I think we should simply get rid of this minor-mode.
>>
>>  I tend to agree with getting rid of it.  But, I have not yet
>>  considered that possibility deeply.  If we are going to
>>  remove it, I think we should do that in 21.3.  Introducing
>>  something in 21.3 and remove it in 21.4 is not a good thing.

> But that would make 21.3 into much less of a "bug-fix only" release.

??? Why not adding a new mode in 21.3 makes 21.3 much
less of a bug-fix only release?

> I think we're wasting way too much effort on 21.3.  We should get
> it out the door quickly so we can concentrate on getting 21.4 ready.
> Backporting features from 21.4 to 21.3 is not very constructive.

Generally I agree with that we should release 21.3 as soon
as possibility.  But, the current codes of RC and HEAD both
have bugs as I wrote previously.  Some of them are related
to the new features existing only in HEAD, thus don't exist
in RC.

But, I also noticed that when one toggles
unify-8859-on-decoding-mode on and off,
unify-8859-on-encoding-mode also stops working, both in RC
and HEAD.  At least such a bug should be fixed.

This week I think I fixed all bugs related to
unify-8859-on-encoding-mode.  I'll try to fix bugs related
to unify-8859-on-decoding-mode this weekend.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden