Re: status of utf-8.el, etc [Re: Several serious problems]

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: status of utf-8.el, etc [Re: Several serious problems]
Date: 27 Sep 2002 14:55:35 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> As the testsuite revealed several bugs, before working on
> RC, I decided to fix them in HEAD at first.

Sorry about that.  It's a bit of a mess and badly needed testing
properly.

> I've finished
> these:
>
> (1) Fixing the following bugs.

I don't understand some of these straight off, but I don't have time
to look at it now.

> (1-2) utf-8-translate-cjk can never be turned off once
> turned on.

I don't think it should be toggled; is there a reason you'd want to
avoid it?  What it needs is to be made more flexible about how the
translation is done, allowing you to prefer Chinese to Japanese, for
instance.  Since people moan about the lack of CJK Unicode support, I
hoped someone else would do such work but there's been zero interest
as far as I know...

> (2) Renaming tables/variables.   We should have cleaner
>     names before people starting to use it.

The whole thing needs reorganizing.  I wouldn't have written it like
that for inclusion in Emacs directly.  Things which are in separate
files probably shouldn't be, for instance.

> (2-1) As utf-8-fragment-on-decoding and utf-8-translate-cjk are
> also applicable to utf-16, I cut off "-8" from them.

The `utf-8' comes from them being in utf-8.el.  At least
utf-8-fragment-on-decoding isn't actually specific to Unicode coding
systems.

> (2-2) Make translation table names and their body
> char-tables different to avoid confusion.

As far as I remember, some of the confusion goes away if these are
assumed always to be present, and loaded in the right order.

> Don't you have better ideas for these names?   If not, I'll
> install the changes soon.

Some of those names don't seem right.  For instance,
ucs-mule-to-mule-unicode isn't only used by utf-8/16 as far as I
remember.