Re: Broken lisp/Makefile.w32-in

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Broken lisp/Makefile.w32-in
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:44:07 -0400

    I'm trying to test them, but I'm unable to bootstrap EMACS_21_1_RC on
    W95 (with or without my changes) because of a problem with
    `grep-compute-defaults' during the making of the custom-deps target:

    > Saving file c:/BIN/emacs/EMACS_21_1_RC/lisp/cus-load.el...
    > Symbol's function definition is void: grep-compute-defaults

Thanks.  I will fix that.

    And finally a question: why is bootstrapping contingent on having a diff
    program (and maybe also grep, I'm not sure)?

I don't know, but since ordinary users don't ave to do bootstrapping,
I don't see much harm in needing them.