Re: status of utf-8.el, etc [Re: Several serious problems]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: status of utf-8.el, etc [Re: Several serious problems]
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:29:08 -0400

> > is there a reason you'd want to avoid it?
>
> One may or may not want select-safe-coding-system to decide
> utf-8 as the default for a buffer that contains CJK charsets
> and etc.  I'm not sure.

select-safe-coding-system is supposed to find a coding system
that's safe.  If utf-8 is safe, then it should definitely be among the
ones that might be selected.  We may want to make the selection among
the safe encodings more flexible (I recently pointed out that I want
to try utf-8 first when decoding but want to try latin-1 first when
encoding, for example), but it shouldn't be done indirectly by
making it impossible to save CJK chars into a utf-8 file.

I.e. for the same reason that unify-8859-on-encoding-mode has no reason
to ever be turned off, translation of CJK into utf-8 upon encoding should
never be turned off either.

        Stefan