Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:12:32 -0400

    Should Texinfo (and Emacs) install into /usr/share/info rather than
/usr/info?

Well, all programs install into $(infodir)/dir as far as I know.
I don't see anything to change there.

Until now, the definition of $(infodir) has been $(prefix)/info, but
I gather we now will prefer $(datadir)/info.

    Could Emacs be smarter about merging the various Info dir files?

The answer to that seems to be yes.  If there are two dir entries which
both refer to the same filename(node), as with `emacs' in this case, I
can't see much point in including them both in the merged dir file,
since they're going to end up at the same place.  This would have fixed
Luc's problem.

I can imagine various other new features, but nothing that really seems
worth it.

Another part of the problem is the plethora of dircategories that are in
use.  Both the packagers and the maintainers tend to make up a new
category at the drop of a hat, and this results in the same dir entries
being repeated over and over again.

Luc, can you please send a shar file (or whatever) with all the dir
files on your system, so we have something to work with?

Thanks,
karl