Re: TODO additions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: TODO additions
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 22:32:22 -0500

    I think that a browser should be able to render such stuff regardless.
    In some cases pages are actually unusable without the background
    because of what losing `designers' have put on top.

Many pages are unusable without Internet Explorer, or unusable without
Flash--by comparison, would these be significant in number?

I don't have personal experience with either kind of page, so I can't
say whether supporting background images "correctly" does more harm or
more good.  What I can say is that people should not blindly assume
that supporting them "correctly" is the right choice.  Maybe it is,
and maybe not.

But maybe the issue is not a real one.  If "correct" implementation of
background images is not a possible, then why worry about the issue?

    PPM does colour and is supported generally, so it may be able to
    replace both PBM and XPM.

If this works, I agree it is a good idea.  So it's just a matter of
verifying that this really works.